How to Get Walmart Delivery (In-Depth Guide)
Find out how to get Walmart delivery from the comfort of your own home. Learn which services are available, the benefits, and how much it costs.
People in a hurry or those who have difficulty going into shops often benefit from convenient home delivery.
After all, who wants to waste time traveling to a shop, battling with other people, and queuing to pay?—Especially when home delivery is so easy.
In fact, the National Retail Federation found that over 90 percent of you are more likely to choose a retailer based on convenience.
That includes grocery delivery, which has created aggressive competition among companies like Amazon's Whole Foods and Instacart.
Plus, that rivalry for your dollars will remain fierce. It's predicted that eCommerce sales in grocery delivery will reach $145.22 billion by 2025.
One of the biggest players in this space? Walmart.
In fact, Walmart’s grocery delivery will account for 55.7 percent of the store’s US sales this year.
Here, savvy shoppers like you can learn how to get Walmart delivery, saving time, money, and stress when shopping in-store—for less than the cost of gas to get there.
Let’s jump in.
How to order from Walmart: A step-by-step guide
Let’s talk about how to order from Walmart. It’s pretty simple, so let’s walk through the steps:
- Go to the Wallmart website
- Start the process one of several ways:
— A drop-down menu on the left says “How do you want your items” and gets you to choose “shipping,” “pickup” or “delivery.”
— A button on the right gives you the option to sign in, if you have a Walmart account or to create an account.
— The top bar has choices for Departments or Services, where you can pick what you want to order.
- You can also simply find an item and click “add to cart.” Items will allow you to choose whether they are available for pickup or delivery.
- The delivery from store button includes a link to “check eligibility,” where you will enter your zip code to find if you can get delivery.
Once you’re done selecting your items, click the “cart” button - it looks like a shopping cart.
You will find the items in your cart and a button that says “continue to checkout.” You will pay for items, choose delivery times, and more (find details on that below).
After you have done several orders, you can choose to reorder items from previous shopping “trips,” create lists and check registries.
Here’s another way to shop:
- Download the Walmart delivery app on the App Store or Google Play.
- Use it to order groceries and schedule deliveries.
- Use the Easy Reorder function for those favorite items you often buy.
- Use the Mobile Check-in feature to save time when you decide to pick up your order. You get a notification that your order is ready for pickup. You tap “I'm on my way” on the app, and a staff member prepares your order so you won’t have to wait.
- Get savings notifications on the app.
- Find Walmart flyers on the app.
Be sure to check eligibility, as you won’t be able to order online and get Walmart delivery or in-store pickup everywhere in the United States.
How to book a time for my Walmart order
When ordering from your store, you can also book a delivery time that works for you.
Here are the steps to use on the Wallmart website:
- Choose a delivery time, in one-hour windows, that’s convenient for you.
- Add products to your cart, including fresh groceries.
- Your items will be delivered in the time slot you chose.
Walmart ship to store pick up
Online shopping delivery isn’t the only trend that has increased in recent years.
Curbside pickup or “click and collect” has also increased in popularity.
With this form of buying, you shop online and then pick the items up at the store.
Walmart has over 4,700 stores in the US and offers curbside pickup at more than 3,700 of them.
And they have a corner on the market.
In fact, one in every four dollars spent in the United States in 2021 through curbside pickup or by shopping in stores went to Walmart.
One in every four dollars spent in the United States in 2021 through curbside pickup went to Walmart
Plus, Walmart stores grabbed 25.4 percent of all US click-and-collect orders.
So it's likely that you'll need to use Walmart to pick up your groceries at some point. It's unavoidable.
Here’s how it works:
- Go to the Walmart website or use the Walmart delivery app.
- Go to the drop-down menu on the left or the selection on the app that reads: “How do you want your items?”
- Choose “Pickup.”
- Make your selection of either Curbside Pickup or In-store Pickup (or both).
- Go to checkout. You must sign in to your Walmart account or create an account.
- You can choose a time to pick the order up.
You can get your order as fast as the same day, (within four hours of the time you order). If you order after 4 pm, you’ll be able to pick it up the next day.
You’ll either get an email when it’s ready, sign up for text notifications, or get notified on the app.
There’s no charge for the pickup of items you buy. Check your area to find if it’s available at your local store.
Walmart delivery fees
How much does it cost for Walmart to deliver?
The truth is, it depends. Here are the many answers:
- If you aren’t a Walmart Plus member (more on that later), you pay delivery fees between $7.95-$9.95.
- If you are a member, you don’t pay for delivery if you spend over $35. If you spend less than $35, you pay the below order minimum fee of $5.99.
- Additional fees may apply for Express delivery if you want Walmart same-day delivery. Express delivery costs $10 on top of any existing delivery charge, and Walmart Plus members simply pay the $10 Express fee.
Let’s get into how to get free delivery at Walmart:
Walmart Delivery Unlimited and Walmart Plus
How can I get free delivery from Walmart?
Through Walmart’s subscription services.
The subscription economy is predicted to grow in worth significantly by 2025. It will be worth $1.5 trillion, surpassing its 2021 projection of $650 billion.
So, of course, there’s a subscription service to help you save money on delivery when you order online from Walmart.
Walmart Plus (also called Walmart+) is a subscription plan that might be worth it if you use Walmart grocery delivery regularly.
Walmart Plus might be worth it if you use Walmart grocery delivery regularly
With it, you get free next-day, two-day or standard shipping with no order minimum. Express delivery is available for an additional fee of $10.00.
You can try Walmart Plus free for 30 days, then it costs $12.95/month or $98/year, plus applicable taxes.
What’s the difference between Walmart Delivery Unlimited and Walmart Plus?
Delivery Unlimited was only free delivery from your store, and the Walmart+ program expands that to include other benefits. If you were a Delivery Unlimited customer, you’re automatically enrolled in Walmart Plus.
Once you’re a member, here’s how it works.
- On the Wallmart website, search for items labeled “shipped by Walmart” on the product page, then add those to your cart.
- When you get to the checkout, your shipping fee will be waived.
- Your order is shipped to you by Walmart.
There’s a large selection of eligible items, but of course, there are some items that are not included:
What’s included: Items that are "shipped by Walmart". This excludes oversized and freight items and any third-party sellers not shipped by Walmart.
What’s not included: Oversized and freight items are not included, as well as third-party sellers not shipped by Walmart. Most Marketplace items are also excluded.
There’s a difference if you choose items found “in-store.”
In this instance, you must spend $35 to get free shipping for in-store items.
When shopping, you can filter items by "in-store" or "shipping" based on how and when you'd like to receive your order.
Any "in-store" items (many groceries would likely fall into this category) would include the $35 order minimum for free delivery. Anything in the "shipping" filter would have no order minimum for Walmart+ members. If you spend less than $35, you will have to pay the order minimum fee of $5.99.
In other words, you get free same-day delivery from your store on groceries and more as long as you send a minimum of $35.
Once you get to the checkout step, you can refine your delivery and shipping options during checkout.
For in-store purchases, here’s how it works:
- Book a time slot for your delivery that’s convenient for you, in one-hour windows.
- Add products to your cart, including fresh groceries.
- Your items will be delivered in the time slot you chose.
Here are some facts you’ll want to know:
Can you share Walmart Plus with family members?
While you can save multiple delivery addresses, you can only share the account with family members in the same household.
If your family member has a separate Walmart account, they must get their own Walmart Plus account.
You could try getting around it by sharing a Walmart account with family members—and figuring out how you’ll pay for purchases.
Can I cancel Walmart Plus at any time?
You can cancel from your Walmart+ account page or contact customer care.
Walmart InHome Delivery
Walmart also introduced a new delivery program and expanded it early in 2022.
Called the InHome delivery service, it’s where Walmart employees wear cameras to enter a customer’s home and deliver your groceries when you’re not there.
Walmart announced in January that it would expand the availability of this program from six million to 30 million households. Including cities such as Los Angeles and Chicago by the end of this year.
Walmart’s InHome service costs $19.95 per month with no additional fees.
Plus, in July 2022, Walmart announced that it would bring together the “direct-to-fridge” delivery service of InHome as an optional add-on within Walmart+.
In other words, the two standalone memberships have been brought together. So whether you’re a new or existing Walmart customer, you can choose the plan that best suits you.
Walmart same-day delivery
Walmart also has a special delivery option called Express delivery, is for customers “in a pinch.”
With Express Delivery, you can order items from groceries to electronics and pay a $10 Express delivery fee on top of the existing delivery charge. Walmart+ members pay only the $10 Express fee.
You can get Express Delivery in nearly 3,000 Walmart stores (70 percent of the US).
To check on any of the delivery options available, go to the website or app and search your ZIP code to find what’s offered in your area.
Walmart tipping etiquette
Now the question on everyone’s mind when they get a special service like home delivery: Do you tip Walmart delivery?
Well, that’s entirely up to you.
So how much should you tip?
You may want to base the tip on the size of your order or how heavy the items you chose will be to tote into the house.
You may also be pleased to have a lot of items put in the fridge, so you want to tip more.
A general tipping rule is at least 10 percent of your bill, but you could tip more—up to 15 or 20 percent—if you’re happy with the service.
Here’s what it says on the Walmart website:
- Tips are optional, and 100 percent of tips go to the driver.
- You can choose to tip before or after placing your order or after delivery.
- You’re free to edit your tip amount for up to 24 hours after delivery.
- You have up to 14 days to add a tip for your delivery driver if you choose to leave a tip.
To add a tip for items delivered from your local store:
- Select Account.
- Select Purchase History.
- Select the appropriate order.
- Select Add tip.
If you don't find the option to add a tip, your order is not eligible.
Walmart will also send you a notification from the app for you to give feedback or a tip after your delivery.
If you don’t feel like tipping or want to do something special for a regular delivery driver, you could find other ways to thank him or her. Leaving a snack, for instance, or having bottled water available is another way to show appreciation for those who are always on the road.
How to Get Walmart Delivery FAQs
How much is Walmart delivery?
Here are the costs:
- Walmart delivery fees are between $7.95-$9.95.
- A Walmart Plus subscription for free delivery is offered on a 30-day free trial, then it’s $12.95/month or $98/year, plus applicable taxes.
- For an add-on fee, you can also get Walmart’s InHome service where Walmart employees place your groceries in your home.
- If you are a Walmart Plus member, you don’t pay for delivery if you spend over $35. If you spend less than $35, you pay the below order minimum fee of $5.99.
- If you want Walmart same-day delivery, Express delivery costs $10 on top of any existing delivery charge, and Walmart Plus members simply pay the $10 Express fee.
Who delivers Walmart online orders?
There are instances where third-party delivery services may bring the goods to your door. But InHome Delivery, for instance, is guaranteed to be handled by full-time Walmart associates.
Since they’re coming into your home, Walmart states they are “vetted, insured, safety-trained, and ready to take on your shopping list.”
Does Walmart offer free delivery for seniors?
No, there’s no special deal for seniors, who can sign up for the subscription plan Walmart Plus to save money if they often shop at Walmart.
How to Get Walmart Delivery conclusion
Getting groceries delivered at home is a convenience that many of us have come to enjoy. During the Covid-19 pandemic, we took advantage of curbside pickup and home delivery, and it appears that customers will continue to shop online and have items delivered.
With our in-depth guide on how to get Walmart delivery, you can access one of the world’s biggest retailers and even have your milk placed in the fridge while you’re at work.
Our Circuit Package Tracker app can also help with other delivery services.
Chances are you'll love our other stuff too. Get our newsletter for the latest on all things delivery.